Monday, June 19, 2006

Another Post About Boobs....

In yet another attempt from the government to whip us women into line comes the new ad campaign from the Department of Health and Human Services: "You wouldn't take risks before your baby's born, Why start after?" Recommending that women breast feed for at least 6 months, comparing the effects of formula feeding to that of smoking. To that I say, give me a break! Article

I am not saying that formula is the best thing, I know that breast feeding is best, but the fact is that some women can't do it, including me. When Boy was 2 weeks old I got a terrible infection as a result of his birth (not mastitis), I was breast feeding so Boy got really sick too. His pediatrician told me not to breast feed for awhile, to pump and toss and give him formula until we were both better, especially since I had to be on Mega-antibiotics. Have you ever used a breast pump? It sucks (ha-ha I know bad pun). Pumping when you have a 103 degree fever is even worse. So I couldn't do it as well as I should have and Boy wouldn't go back.

And with Girl, after three months of not sleeping and never leaving the couch because she wanted to do nothing but nurse, I couldn't take it another minute and slowly tapered out during the next few months.

Now Boy is in the gifted program, and though he has problems because of the allergies he inherited from his father's side, overall he is a healthy kid. Girl has overall been a healthy child. She walked at nine months (so much for breast fed babies walking earlier), and according to the early childhood studies she is operating at a four-year-old level.

I think the whole thing is designed to make already neurotic moms even more neurotic.

No comments: