Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ranting about Morning People

I am up two hours earlier than I normally am on a Thursday, and I am not happy about it. Mr. Hobbitfeet yelled and slammed something around in the kitchen at 6:30 a.m. and woke Girl and I. He tried to put her into bed with me, but she "felt in her bones that [she] should be awake" and refused to settle back down. When I said (sarcastically) "This early morning waking is brought to you by Mr. H." He slammed out of the house and took off for work with wheels squealing.
I have trouble unwinding at night. Unlike Mr. H., who falls asleep the minute his head hits the pillow and can fall asleep again if he wakes up in the night, I take a long time to fall asleep. If I go to bed at 9, I won't fall asleep until midnight, so I don't get up easily in the morning.
I don't think it's fair. When I am awake at night and everyone else is asleep, I am quiet. I avoid activities that would wake people up.
Not so for Mr. Hobbitfeet. He slams cabinet doors. Whacks at the toilet paper roll so I can her it unrolling Thwack-a-thwack-a-thwack-a-thwack.
I found this to be true of most morning people. It's almost as if they are pissed off that people are able to sleep after they get up and are eager to share the burden of being awake.
I remember once in college I had a friend that worked nights at a group home and wouldn't get to bed until 7 a.m. She was going to move out so the landlord wanted to show the apartment but had called when she wasn't home, so decided to show it anyway at around 9 a.m. and was pissed that my friend was still in bed.
Also once when I was working at the hospital, I was in at 8:00 (we live on farmer time out here) and an old woman came in looking for my boss and couldn't believe that she wasn't in at 8:15 a.m. She actually asked me if my boss was lazy. What?
That is probably my least favorite thing about being down here. When I lived in Chicago, people wouldn't call or mow their lawn until 10 a.m. Down here the "polite time" seems to be 8 a.m.
Hopefully I'll be able to get Girl down for a nap later (not holding my breath) until then I have to deal with my exhaustion

2 comments:

Rayne said...

I can so relate to this! Scott does all that you described and more. Including throwing himself on the side of the bed so he can put on his socks and shoes which shakes the bed back and forth as if he is having fits or something.
Now that I am on new medications for the Crohn's I can't sleep past 5:30 so now he is complaining that I wake up too early.

Woodlandmama said...

Men!