Monday, February 5, 2007

Preschool Drama

When I went to school, the cutoff birth date in Illinois was December 1. Somewhere along the way it was changed to September 1, which for my darling boy was no problem as he was a May baby. My Libra-Scorpio Cusp baby is a different story altogether. She didn't get to start preschool this fall, and she was very ready.
She can cut with safety scissors, properly hold a pencil, and spell her entire first name and most of her last. She can count past 20, and do a vast number of other amazing feats.
Why do I care? Well once she goes to school, will she be bored?

Last year at her preschool screening they told me she was totally ready for preschool except she was too young. This year they were blown away by what she knows and how clearly she speaks. They said she performs on the same level as Pre-September-1st-3 year-olds, who have been in school since August. Now it doesn't matter so much but it stinks that she'll be almost 6 before she gets to start Kindergarten. I just hate the idea that she might be bored in school at such a young age.

I also don't see the point of the preschool screens if not to determine entrance into school based on skill level.

No comments: