Friday, June 29, 2007

Welcome Back Baldy!


Bald Eagle.jpg
Originally uploaded by
Snapperz
The American bald eagle was just removed from the endangered species list. The article states that there are now 10,000 mating pairs, and at least one mating pair in each of the 48 contiguous states. That is fantastic and I am very happy for you bald eagles. The original article I read (not the one I linked to) had the following quote:
George Wallace, vice president and chief conservation officer for the American Bird Conservancy, recalls when he was still in high school in the 1970s he saw his first bald eagle on Plum Island in Massachusetts. It was a rarity.“Seeing a bald eagle in the mid ‘70s was a big deal,” he said Wednesday. “It was something you really looked forward to seeing. Now, to be honest, bald eagles are pretty common. (Chas. Times-Courier 6-29-07)

I'm sorry but what!? Maybe as the VP Blah blah blah of the American Bird Conservancy you see a lot of bald eagles but I don't know many people who have seen one. I hear one lives at the lake two blocks from my house, but no matter how many times I try, I never see one. Personally I'm not sure that 10,000 mating pairs sounds like enough. But what do I know? I'm just a city girl that learned most of what I know about animals from my son.

No comments: