Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Careful What You Wish For.

I have been telling everybody I know for quite awhile now that I want to get my Master's Degree in Library and Information Services.
I've never actually been paid to work in a library before, but I have volunteered in Boy's school library in the past.
So this year when my daughter's Catholic school said that parents were required to volunteer a certain amount of time, I put the library as a the place in which I wanted to volunteer my time.
Because I would be working with students, and because the Catholic church is having so much trouble lately, I had to take a seminar on recognizing sexual abuse. It was horrible, gross, and uncomfortable, but I wanted to work in the library.
I figured it would be a lot like when I volunteered at Boy's school library. I would help the librarian, restock books, show films, and help kids find the books they wanted.
School started back in mid-August. Today was the first day I worked. It was also the day that I discovered that Girl's school has no librarian. In fact, it barely has a library. The library is about half the size of a regular classroom, and doubles as the music room on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Not only is there no librarian, I am the only parent who has volunteered to work there. Also, teachers have been taking their kids there since mid-August with very little supervision. All of the shelves were severely messed up. Books were stacked two feet high on the desk, and the principle said that the library had been closed until it could be cleaned up.
I worked from 8:30 to 11 a.m. when I had to go home for Boy (he had a half day). I'll be there next Wednesday from 8:30 a.m. to 3 p.m., I don't see how I'll ever get it done as the only person working in there. Even though I was able to get "A" through half of "G" sorted in the Easy Reader section, and got loose books put away, that was a very small section.
I guess this is what I get. I wanted to be a librarian, now I'll get the full on experience.

No comments: