Thursday, January 10, 2008

The Piercing Debate

Girl has been begging to get her ears pierced for months. At first I told her she had to be ten, but then I really wasn't sure why I said that. I mean does it really make a difference in her life if she gets her ears pierced at ten or four?
Mr. Hobbitfeet of course will never provide opinions on things of this nature, so I was all alone on this. When Girl was six months old and I was living in Bridgeport (a neighborhood on the South side of Chicago) I tookGirl to the park where there were a bunch of Bridgeport moms with their kids. She was dressed almost entirely in pink (not because I like pink or believe in gender conditioning but she was the first girl in the family in 18 years and everybody gave her pink outfits and dresses). Anyway, despite the Pepto Bismol outfit, this mom came up and started saying he this and he that. When I told her Girl was a girl she yelled, actually yelled, at me for not piercing her ears.
Then I was very against it. My daughter would never pierce her ears. But she couldn't ask then and she can now. She wanted it, so I relented.
I've been telling her how much it hurts, but she was unwavering. Even when a teenager got pierced just before her and cried, she would not change her mind. So she got in the chair and picked her pretty pink earrings that as luck would have it were her birthstone.
She cried and I almost threw up from the feeling that I was letting my daughter get hurt for some stupid arcane ritual. But, she was very happy so I guess I'll get over it.


Also, this morning when I washed Girl's face this little curl appeared by accident. It cracked me up.


There was a little girl,
who had a little curl,
right in the middle of her forehead,
and when she was good,
she was very, very good,
and when she was bad,
she was horrid.

No comments: