Monday, November 12, 2007

I'll Subtract My Debt from Your Account Dear

Last night in a fit of anti-social, thinking-only-of-mommy behavior, I made Mr. Hobbitfeet take Girl to a four-year-old birthday party at McDonald's last night. As he was leaving he said, "Boy, do you owe me." And I thought, "Oh what a really great guy." Then when they came home two hours later, I coddled him when he whined about having a headache, put the kids to bed on my own, cleaned up his messes, etc.
Then this morning I woke up and thought, "WTF!? I am in charge of every other birthday, ever!" I throw our kids parties with very little help from him, take our kids to parties all the time, pick out every present at birthdays, Christmas, or whatever, and wrap them myself (which at Christmas really, really sucks)! Then I thought about chaperoning field trips, Halloween parties at school, and going alone to all the parent-teacher conferences, and I decided I don't owe him crap.
He's a great guy, don't get me wrong, but him sitting around at McDonald's for a couple hours while some other mom throws a birthday party is not something I am about to go into parental debt for.
Also, for those who'll tell me not to keep score, even if you pretend not to, you're keeping score, just admit it already.

No comments: