Sunday, February 10, 2008

Vacation On My Mind

This year, Mr. Hobbitfeet and I believe we will be able to take our first ever family vacation (since our honeymoon, which although included Girl-baking in my oven-did not include Boy who instead went to Philly with my mom and step-dad). We have done little weekends here and there at various family members’ cottages, but we've not done a "FAMILY VACATION."
That being said, we can't afford a huge expensive thing (read: Disney World). It can not include air trip as round trips tickets for a family of four is redonkulous and would eat up at least half of our budget. We also have to keep in mind that we will be spending $11 a day on dog boarding.
I am also aiming to have this coincide with Mr. Hobbitfeet and my 5th anniversary on what Mr. Hobbitfeet always says is D-day but is actually the following day.

My plan is to go to the Rocky Mountains because it is only a 14.5 hour drive, and a little less than halfway we can stop at a Holidome (complete with waterslide) in Topeka, KS which is a hot spot for my kids. Other benefits of going to the Rockies is that it will allow my children to relive part of one of my most memorable childhood family vacations at the YMCA of the Rockies (although Boy is balking at the idea of horseback riding).

I also decided we should spend part of the trip at Pike's Peak which is a little more than an hour out of Denver, but adds nothing to the trip home. So that's my plan, and then while perusing information on our destinations, I realized something. I saw this picture and realized I am dragging my family up to the mountains WHEN I AM AFRAID OF HEIGHTS!!!!!

I am trying to be calm.

I am breathing.

Deep breaths.

Deep breaths.

As the youngest of seven with a legally blind father, Mr. Hobbitfeet didn't get to travel much as a kid, and since he didn't learn how to drive himself until we were married, he hasn't been on many road trips. Girl has only ever been to Illinois, Indiana, Missouri, and Michigan. Boy beats her by two because he can add Wisconsin and Pennsylvania. I've got about 28 states and Mexico under my belt and feel under-traveled but compared to them I'm Nellie Bly, and although this trip wouldn't add to my state list, it would certainly broaden my family's horizons.

So I am breathing and facing up to my fears as I always tell Boy to do, and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it (and every night beforehand in my nightmares)!

Breathing!

I just need to remember that neither Mr. Hobbitfeet nor the kids have seen mountains and mountains are beautiful and purple and majestic (it says so in the song). Plus we can see the Manitou Cliff Dwellings and who doesn't love a good cliff dwelling?

I will be very calm and open to this experience. People don't normally plummet to their deaths in the Rockies. It is very rare and I will just keep reminding myself of that. Also, I had lots of fun in the Rockies as an eight year old. This will be fun. I will remember that.

3 comments:

BS said...

If you can swing the expense, take the Cog Railway up to the top of Pikes Peak - it's awesome !! And check out Manitou Springs while you are there and taste the water at the different "springs stations". That is awesome too !

La Sirena said...

Since when are you afraid of heights?

Woodlandmama said...

Since forever. Remember Lookout Mt. when I wouldn't lookout?