Tuesday, August 19, 2008

My Hour With The Helicopters

Girl takes lessons at a fancy pants gymnastics and dance school. I hate what the place is, however, since it exists no place else nearby has tumbling classes. Girl loves herself some tumbling so we've been going there for the last couple years.
Today was the first day of the new session, and there were tons of new students. Maybe because of the Olympics, or maybe it's just because it's the beginning of the season, I don't know; but I do know that the moms were highly irritating.
At least four of them ignored the "no parents in the gym" rule and repeatedly interrupted classes to talk to the instructors. Others talked loudly on the phone about things better left private:
"So I told Jake that he gave me the crabs, blah, blah, blah, blah!" (They didn't really say that, but they might as well have.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised; that place has always attracted a certain type of mom. More than once I heard someone talking about all the pageants their daughters were in. I guess, I just was a little taken aback at the level of helicopter parenting that was going on today.

No comments: